Departing employees often stay active in your industry, joining competing businesses or starting their own.
Without a structured offboarding process in place, they can do so while retaining access to critical equipment and data, creating potential risks that are avoidable.
Here's how to avoid this risk using structured offboarding checklists in SOPHY:
1. Keep track of your assets
Employees usually have access to several assets from different departments, such as a laptop, smartphone, access to databases and keys to the office.
- Go to 'Assets' in the navigation.
- Click on 'Add asset' on the top right.
- Name the new asset.
- Describe the asset.
Once the asset has been created you can assign it to a team member.
2. Set up processes with templates
For a quick start with SOPHY, you can use one our offboarding process templates.
- Go to 'Checklists' in the navigation.
- Click on 'Templates'.
- Select the tab 'Offboarding'.
- Choose a template that fits best to your process.
- Click on 'Start a new list'.
Customize this template to meet your personal offboarding process requirements.
3. Create a task for each resource of the employee
With SOPHY you can get an overview of all the assets of an employee easily:
- Click on 'Assets' in the navigation.
- Use the filter 'Assigned to' and select the departing employee.
- Use the list of assets to create tasks for the return and management of these assets.
You can also set a due date to make sure everything is returned by a specific deadline.
4. Rate the process
At the end of the offboarding you should evaluate the process and the checklist. Try to get feedback from various stakeholders in order to get a holistic view on the process.
- Was the offboarding process fair and successful for everyone?
- Was there something missing?
- Or was something so unnecessary that it can be deleted from the checklist template?
- What about the order of tasks?
Keep optimizing your template, or modify it for specific positions and processes.
5. Save the process
Always remember to save your optimized checklists as a template:
- Click on 'Checklists' in the navigation.
- Switch to the checklist you optimized and you would like to save.
- Click on 'Save as template' on the top right.
You can find it in the tab 'My templates', if you go to the 'Templates' section.